Kolorex® is proven by time:
- Kolorex® contains Horopito (Pseudowintera colorata), which has helped the Maori people for centuries
- Kolorex® products have been helping people manage their microflora since 1985
Kolorex® is proven internationally:
- Kolorex® products are recommended by doctors and practitioners around the world
Kolorex® is proven by science:
- Kolorex® products are based on an extensive program of scientific research. For more detail on the science behind Kolorex®, download our Scientific Summary.
Kolorex® offers total peace of mind:
- Forest Herbs Research manages the only sustainable plantation of Kolorex® Horopito, grown in New Zealand
- Every batch must pass an independent laboratory test for activity before it can be incorporated into Kolorex®
How Kolorex® is made
Kolorex® starts with the Horopito grown on our farm in beautiful, clean green New Zealand. We use sustainable farming and harvesting practices to minimise the environmental footprint of our operations. Horopito processing ensures freshness, potency and quality every time. We use an ultra-pure extraction method called supercritical carbon dioxide extraction – meaning there are no nasty chemicals used at all. Horopito extract is combined with hand selected pure and natural raw ingredients to create beautiful, natural and potent Kolorex® products. Customers all around the globe rely on Kolorex® to help them get back to their best in no time.
Throughout history, indigenous cultures have pioneered the use of plants with healing properties. One plant that has gained a significant backing from research over the last 30 years is Horopito.
Horopito is endemic to New Zealand, and is more correctly identified by its scientific name, Pseudowintera colorata. It is an ancient shrub and appears in the fossil records over 65 million years ago. It is very slow growing and only grows in specific climactic conditions found in forested parts of New Zealand.
Horopito has a long history of medicinal use by New Zealand’s indigenous Maori population. The leaves were bruised, steeped in water and used for various ailments, including toothache, ringworm, stomach aches, diarrhoea, headache, chest ailments
One of the active ingredients in Kolorex® Horopito leaves has been identified as polygodial, a sesquiterpene dialdehyde. Laboratory testing demonstrated that the polygodial had strong anti-Candida activity.
The earliest research on the anti-fungal properties of Kolorex® Horopito was published in 19821. This pioneering research showed that polygodial in Kolorex® Horopito was stronger and faster acting than amphotericin B, a pharmaceutical antifungal that was commonly used at that time.
In these experiments, polygodial demonstrated antifungal activity from day 1, whereas amphotericin B took 3 to 4 days to work. Remarkably, polygodial from Kolorex® Horopito was also more potent than the pharmaceutical. These results are shown in the table below.
Not only is polygodial from Kolorex® Horopito potent, it is also very specific in that it targets fungal cells, predominantly Candida. The photo was taken down a microscope and shows the mode of action of polygodial damaging the cell membrane of a fungi cell, resulting in leaching of intracellular contents and cell death2. In addition, polygodial displays anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which may help to relieve the symptoms of vaginal thrush – one of the more common forms of Candida overgrowth.
Kolorex® Horopito is indeed a unique plant with potent healing properties. Kolorex bring the power and wisdom of the plant world to those who need a boost in their fight against Candida.
1. McCallion R.F. et al. Antibiotic Substances from New Zealand Plants. J. Med Plant Res. 44, 134-138. 1982
2. Taniguchi M, et al. Mode of Action of Polygodial, and Antifungal Sesquiterpene Dialdehyde. Agric. Biol. Chem 52(6), 1409-1414. 1988